5 top tips to stop the negative language cycle when talking to ourselves.
We all use it, in varying forms but we pretty much say the same thing to ourselves. We tell ourselves that we are not good enough, we are useless, stupid, fat, ugly the list goes on.
The language becomes damaging and the more we say things to ourselves, the more we start to believe. To the point that it becomes our identity and we believe everything we say, however negative that is. We go around in that never-ending cycle, talk shit to ourselves, and then beat ourselves up for doing it. Round and round we go on the cycle of negative language cycle. Often we get to the point where we cannot see a way out of it. That is a hard place to be in and we know what that feels like, we have both been there.
Getting out of the negative language cycle takes some work and lots of practice. But if you can use these tips you will be on the road to breaking that language. Read below:
- Recognise negative thoughts: Once you have started to catch yourself chatting shite to yourself you start to learn that you have the ability to stop things. This is the hardest but most powerful thing to learn to do. It takes some practice believe us, but start to hear and you will learn that you have you choices.
- Is it the truth? Once you have started to identify the negative language, challenge it by asking yourself if it is true. Often, negative self-talk is based on false assumptions and irrational beliefs. It lies to us on a regular basis, it catastrophizes all the time and makes a simple thing into a huge one. Remember mountains out of molehills!
- Practice self-compassion: Treat yourself with kindness and compassion. Remember that everyone makes mistakes and has flaws. We are only human after all. Be gentle with yourself when you make mistakes and avoid overly critical self-judgments.
- Understand that you are not the voice: We know that this might seem a bit weird but learn to know that you are not that negative language. We know it is your voice that says those things but it is not actually you. (That’s a whole other thing).
- You can choose: Ok, so once you have started the tips above, you learn that you can change the language. You have the choice to change what you say and use more positive and life-affirming words. When you recognise that you are chatting negatively, ask yourself if you could choose would you say those things? Or would you choose to be kinder and say beautiful things instead?
Let’s be honest, we would all like to be kinder and nicer to ourselves. It feels lovely and changes your mindset. Breaking the cycle of negative self-talk takes time and practice, but it is worth the effort. By changing the language you use about yourself, you can improve your mental health and overall well-being. You can start to feel so much better and this has a knock-on effect on those around you too.
Give it a go, it will be worth it.
Love Lynne and Tracey xxx
OMG have you seen our podcast yet? Well if you have been living in a dark hole and haven’t, then here is the link to the podcast website and you can listen from your favourite app.